It is basic knowledge that plants need sunlight to grow because the UV rays of the sun facilitate the process of photosynthesis.
However, you can also grow plants in total darkness by using scientific innovations.
To explain this concept, you can use plant seeds, young or mature plants depending on what you are looking for or interested in.
Normally, a seed or a young plant is placed in a container along with two metal plates. The seeds are placed inside the house where the rays of the sun can’t reach them.
Then, wires from the plates are attached to a plate outside and then to an electrical ground that’s located inside the house. The energy obtained from the plates outside travels into the house and makes the seeds sprout in total darkness. It is important to understand that you need to change the size of the plates used as the plant grows.
- Two insulated wires for each container. They can be of any gauge
- Three metal plates. Aluminum roof flashing is ideal
- Small containers
- Preferred seeds
Steps to follow:
- Step 1 – make sure that the insulated wires you are going to use are long enough. One of the wires should be long enough because you will use it from the seeds container to a high spot outside your house. The other wire shall be used to reach a ground source e.g. a water pipe.
- Step 2 – from both ends of the insulated wire, you need to strip the insulator (about one inch). After drilling a small hole close to the edge of each plate, use the uninsulated part to thread a wire through the hole. You are supposed to solder the wire to make an electrical connection and to keep the wire in place at all times. Alternatively, you can use glue or duct tape if you cannot afford to solder.
- Step 3 – the metal plate should be placed in a container that you will plant the seed. Run the wire up and over the edge of the container and ensure that the container is placed a few feet above the ground and then fill the container with soil or dirt.
- Step 4 – the wire from the plate should run to an electrical ground for instance, underneath the sink. Use the uninsulated part of the wire to wrap the wire around one of the pipes.
- Step 5 – drill a hole on the other metal plate, tie and solder the other wire that’s going to a high spot outside the house. This should be the longer wire.
- Step 6 – you need to ensure that this second plate does not touch the potting soil/dirt in any way! You can use any of the methods you think of to achieve this objective. Remember, as the plant/seed grows, you will need to devise another way of suspending the plate while still ensuring you have chosen the right height of the metal plate to facilitate optimal plant growth.
- Step 7 – attach the free wire to the upper plate (the one that you will place on a high spot). It is advisable to place the plate as far away as possible from the ground to facilitate more energy flow. You can place it on a pole, a tree or the roof of your house.
Finally, you have to water the plant or seed as needed and then make a record of the observations.